A GRAN died when she was mauled by a pit bull she took in to her holiday home as a starving stray.
Anne Shields, 67, was left with “catastrophic” head and arm injuries after the animal suddenly turned on her.
The mum of one, who called the dog Choccy, died the next day in hospital.
Her daughter Sarah, 43, of Preston, said: “She was an animal lover and couldn’t bear the thought of throwing Choccy back on the streets.
Her intention had never been to keep the dog but all the animal shelters were full.
“She was looking after him until she found someone who could take him.
“She stuck with him and then this happened. It’s a nightmare.”
Former security guard Anne, below, bought her home with husband Martyn in 2002. He died 18 months later, at 59.
Mum-of-two Sarah added: “She was so caring. This hasn’t really sunk in. We’ll miss her so much.”
Pit bulls are banned in the UK but not in Spain.
A licence is needed to own one as they are viewed as potentially dangerous.